The Board of Governors of the Friends of Franklin Parks, LLC, met for the first time July 26 and elected officers for the organization, which was created to promote and improve park facilities by allowing individuals and businesses to contribute to improvements and facilities in a tax-deductible manner.

Dr. Monty McInturff of Tennessee Equine Hospital was elected President of the Board of Governors, while Adam Ballash of Boyle Investment Company was elected by his fellow board members as Vice President. Rounding out the slate of officers is Amy Cross Nance, a local attorney, who will serve as secretary, and Mary Lankford Benson, who will serve as treasurer.

“I am honored to be asked to serve as the initial president of Friends of Franklin Parks, LLC,” McInturff said. “I have a deep love and respect for the unbelievable natural and historic resources in our community and it will be the mission of Friends of Franklin Parks, LLC, to provide a mechanism to allow for continued development of these resources through private and corporate donations.”

Other members of the Board of Governors of Friends of Franklin Parks, LLC, are David Landrum, David Landrum Stables; Stacey Watson, Director of Community Development for Stites & Harbison; Fred Reynolds, Vice President, Rock City Construction Co. Inc, representing the Heritage Foundation; Williamson County Commissioner Mary Brockman; Chad Dannenfelser, Johnson & Johnson Sales; Russell Little, Partner, Dan Stephen & Associates; Rusty Womack, Local Contractor, Member of the Franklin Historic Zoning Commission; and Annie Pareigis, The Drury Group and a Franklin Tomorrow Board member.

Franklin has more than 700 acres of parkland divided into 16 parks including passive parks, active parks and historical parks. Each park has its own character and amenities, from the scenic and historic Park at Harlinsdale Farm, which serves as a reminder of Franklin’s role in the birth of the Tennessee Walking Horse, to one of the city’s oldest parks, Jim Warren Park, where thousands flock every week for athletic pursuits.

Of the city’s 16 parks, 56% of the parks are completed with the other 44% in varying stages of completion. While funding levels have decreased, citizens’ desire for park amenities and facilities has not dropped.

Franklin Parks Department Director Lisa Clayton and members of her staff briefed the group on the master plans currently in place for the Bicentennial Park, Eastern Flank Battlefield Park, Franklin Greenways & Open Space Master Plan, the Park at Harlinsdale Farm, and Liberty Park.

Friends of Franklin Parks, LLC, was formed in April 2011 by Franklin Tomorrow, Inc., which is marking 10 years in 2011 as the community’s visioning organization. Franklin Tomorrow was founded in 2001 by a group of community leaders for the purpose of initiating and implementing a broad-based, community driven vision for Franklin’s future.

For more information, contact Mindy Tate at 794-0998 or